I like this one because I'm winning:)
Other than our anniversary, I started my Children's rotations this past week. I love it so far! Everyone is very nice and super helpful. I've been so lucky with my rotations and meeting some great people! For those of you who don't know, I'm pretty much obsessed with child birth/pregnancy. I have wanted to see a live birth so bad but have never had the opportunity. Well turns out my first day at the hospital I would get quite the surprise! I'm not suppose to be in the NICU - neonatal ICU - until next week but my 'teacher' split his shift so we ended up there for the remainder of my 12 hour day. Respiratory Therapist go to all high-risk vaginal deliveries and most c-section (all pre-term) deliveries. As soon as we got to the NICU the delivery pager went off and twins were about to be delivered. Ken asked if I wanted to go and I'm not sure he finished his sentence before I said YES! We gowned/gloved/masked and went into the room. I was at station 1 meant for Baby A which placed me perfectly in the direction of the delivery exit route a.k.a the vagina. (sorry for any men reading this) I couldn't stop staring! As soon as I realized I was staring as this poor woman - who didn't have time for an epidural - as she pushed, I would turn away and then realize "Oh it's ok to look, everybody is looking and that is what I'm suppose to be doing..looking for babies!" It was absoutely fascinating; watching two little humans enter the world covered in gunk:) I even got to help with Baby B's rub down to help stimulate the little one. Let me tell you, it's nothing like the show on A Baby Story. The babies ended up doing great and it made my first day 10 times better!
Friday night and of course I'm at work. The twins have a little stomach bug so I'm sure they will be waking up here soon. Until then, t.v. time :)
No comments:
Post a Comment